Saturday, January 31, 2009

Play nice

This afternoon we had a pretty good time at a local event. The University was having an annual science and engineering event for the general public. The basic Idea was to help show kids and teens some fun things about science and help raise their interest. It really is a pretty cool thing and I'm pretty sure it has helped at least get a few kids to think about science more. Anyway, one of the buildings had a special one hour session for little kids from 8 months to 8 -year-olds. The school had a small gym section for them and had several stations with different kind of blocks. The kids got to play at each station for about 10 minutes before going to the next station. It was pretty fun and I think it really helped Aunna that her cousin Lalito and his family where there too. Aunna was pretty much running around like a wild child. Yeah, pretty normal I guess.

After the hour at the blocks, we all headed to another center in the building and got to see some neat displays of science from What does electricity do to a person (used a really cool display setup) to having a large robot move a ball. I'd have to say though that the best one I like was a more simple one. The Highway department had some large toy cars attached with a bungee cord to a little wall. The kids got to color and design an egg and put it in the car. One of the eggs would have its "seatbelt" on. Roll that car back and let it snap into the wall. Kids had a blast and hopefully Aunna was at least wondering why her egg was cracked.




No comments: